Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
Deploying an Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) is a fundamental early step to grid modernization. AMI provides the framework for meeting one of the Modern Grid’s Principal
Characteristics – Motivation and Inclusion of the Consumer. AMI is not a single technology, but rather an integration of many technologies that provides an intelligent connection between consumers and system operators.
AMI gives consumers the information they need to make intelligent decisions, the ability to execute those decisions and a variety of choices leading to substantial benefits they do not currently enjoy. In addition, system operators are able to greatly improve consumer service by refining utility operating and asset management processes based on AMI data.
Guyana Power Light (GPL) received bids for a smart metering system to upgrade its operations countrywide.
The bids were opened Tuesday by the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB), Ministry of Finance, Main Street.
A smart meter is usually an electrical meter that records consumption of electric energy in intervals of an hour or less, and communicates that information at least daily back to the utility for monitoring and billing purposes.
Smart meters enable two-way communication between the meter and the central system. Unlike home energy monitors, smart meters can gather data for remote reporting. Such an advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) differs from traditional automatic meter reading (AMR) in that it enables two-way communications with the meter.
Advantages of the AMI Project
- Power Outage Detection & Restoration: Should the meter sense that power is unavailable, it will automatically transmit an e-mail alert to GPL Inc. This will allow our Operations teams to resolve the problem more swiftly.
- Improved Billing Efficiency: Daily meter readings will occur automatically and remotely, enabling more precise energy readings and power demand calculations. You can therefore expect your bills to reflect a higher level of billing consistency and accuracy.
- Better Demand Management: Data will be captured in real-time, and this will enable large companies to analyze their load profile and determine how best to manage their peak demand for power. Details on how you can access this value added service will be available soon.
- Fixed Billing Days: GPL Inc will be able to read your meter on a fixed day each month regardless of whether the scheduled date for reading falls on a weekend or public holiday; thereby reducing variations in your billing cycle.
- Voltage Quality Monitoring & Management: The meter will also monitor the voltage quality delivered to customers and report violations for rapid emergency action.